Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Side Serve



     Sometimes I'm just happy to fiddle with little projects on the side in between quilts.  Although, many of them seem to turn out to be projects as large as a quilt time wise.  I often spend hours thinking about how to 'do' the job too.  Then there's the collecting of materials and all the other planning and patterns etc.  Here's a recent project that definitely took me longer than expected.


Evening Purse

     This was a doozy.  Just the flower took me about four hours or maybe even five or six, I lost count.  What was I thinking?  I think know I need much more practice with the inktense pencils before I attempt painting this slubby silk again, or stick to painting on smooth fabrics.  As I'm one for a recycled component in most of my projects, I spent hours looking for the right beads and sequins on second hand clothing, what a dumb idea that was!  The consolation was a few good bargains and some fabrics for future projects.

     The second side serve for the month is a machine dust cover.  I think I got a bit carried away with the QAYG improvised log cabin.  This one took me a few days, but it was worth it, I now have the best dressed machine on the street!  Take a look 


So many pieces in such a small space
     





The finished piece.  This project is one of my sample pieces for a class I'm teaching early next year. 

A well dressed machine - brings cheer to the room








Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Being Mobile


     There comes a time when one just has to knuckle down and do the jobs that should have been done yonks ago. (for non Aussies, this means a long time)  For me, that's to make a cutting mat and ruler carrier.  
     A few weeks back, I found myself in one of my favourite quilting shops (and don't we all love to be there if we're not in the sewing room?).  There was a little basket full of end of rolls so I just had to take a bit of a sticky.  Of course, as the story should go, I found a piece that I couldn't do without.  A range called Sunshine and Shadow  by Jane Sassaman for Free Spirit.

'Coleus'

  It was the colours that did it for sure, just can't resist purple and green and anything that closely resembles this gorgeous contrast.  As long as the design is appealing, I'm in, boots and all.


Some of the other little gems I partnered with Coleus

     These projects are a great opportunity to play on the design wall.  That orange just had to go in the mix for a little bit of pop!  As this is a QAYG (quilt as you go), I was able to use the straight line contrasts as my joining pieces.  Some of them are slice and insert pieces as well.  









There is progress

After slicing and inserting, finished with the straight line quilting

     And the finished piece.



     Inside is a pocket for each of my rulers and a few wish pockets as well.  I also decided to add a few leaves of polyester batting as project pages.  It seemed to be the logical thing to add these so I didn't have to built a second one to carry samples etc. when I'm teaching.



     To keep the carrier firm and provide more protection in transit, I sourced some used For Sale boards (my recycled component for this project) from one of the local real estate agents.  It did the job perfectly, light weight and easy to cut.  


The inside of the carrier

      Some of the rulers in their place.  Each pocket is secured with hook and loop tape to hold them firmly in place.  A small pocket at the end provides a space for the roller cutter.  Two polyester batting pages hold various pieces of work.  And look, I do sew traditional stuff sometimes, but only when totally necessary! 

     Now I'm onto my next project and hope to finish it in a week or so.